Does your company have a stated BYOD policy? Do you have several temp workers? Does your industry face heavy manpower attrition? Have your desktop and laptop costs mounted of late? Does your company have a lot of field sales and service personnel? Remote and mobile employees? Do your employees use multiple devices?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then we strongly recommend VDI.
According to Mindsight, while VDI solutions were historically deployed primarily in engineering and media verticals, today they have spread to virtually every industry, including finance, healthcare, education, government, transportation, and non-profits. So much so that 2019 was called the Year of VDI.
Under Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, your endpoints, be they desktops or laptops or mobile devices, are all hosted centrally on a server. Specific endpoint images run within virtual machines (VMs) on the central server and are delivered to end clients over a network.
or mobile devices, are all hosted centrally on a server. Specific endpoint images run within virtual machines (VMs) on the central server and are delivered to end clients over a network.
Apart from server, VDI requires hypervisor and VDI software. The additional cost is easily recovered by savings on the endpoint configuration and reduced endpoint support overheads.
- Take stock of existing desktop / laptop / mobile device landscape
- Select and size appropriate server for VDI e.g. HPE Simplivity, Nutanix
- Supply, install and deploy VDI server including installation and operation of VDI software viz. VMWare, Nutanix, Citrix Workspace
- Set up and operate backup policy
- Set up digital workspaces
- Spec and configure the optimum mix of Persistent and Non-Persistent VDI
- Bolster the network to handle the higher network traffic triggered by VDI
- Partnerships with hardware and software leaders in the VDI space viz. HPE, Citrix, VMWare, Nutanix
- Increased user mobility delivered by consistent end user experience, both in terms of geographic location and device used
- Greater data security since no data is resident on endpoint devices
- Massive savings on endpoint hardware configuration and support overheads